History M.A. alumni, Dulce Kersting-LarkOne word that describes me: “Extrovert.” I really enjoy meeting new people and trying new things. One of the best parts of my job is all the amazing folks I get to work with

Coolest/Most Memorable Thing I Did as a Student at WSU: I participated in UREC’s “Pink Gloves Boxing” program and earned my mitts before graduating. It was a great way to stay active during a rather sedentary period of my life and provided a welcome break from reading and writing

Hobbies or Activities: I enjoy being outside with my husband and our two dogs. We love to hike, cross country ski, and fly fish. Road trips are another favorite way to spend a weekend, especially when they include stops at local breweries.

Favorite WSU History Course: Although I was only there for four semesters, I really can’t choose a favorite course. Dr. Bauman’s graduate seminar on the long Civil Rights Movement was incredibly educational. Dr. Boag’s seminar on American history from Reconstruction to present most definitely made me a better Americanist. And Dr. Spohnholz’s historiography class may be the most intellectually challenging thing I’ve ever survived.

Most  notable accomplishment:  I got a job straight out of graduate school!

Advice I would give to a prospective WSU student : There are opportunities everywhere, but you have to be your own advocate. Find those mentors who will push you and then take advantage of every chance to learn and grow that you can.

After Graduation, I… was hired as the Museum Curator for the Latah County Historical Society, located just over the state line in Moscow, Idaho. About six months later I was promoted to Executive Director, a position that it has been my honor to fill for the last six years. During that time I’ve had the chance to grow as a public historian and as a museum professional.

Favorite Historical Movie? Tombstone. It’s a cheesy, romanticized western and I can’t help but love it. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs is a more recent favorite.